How to Clean-up Mold

Mold is extremely dangerous; a lot more than most people imagine. Not only does mold tend to damage a lot of the objects it comes into contact with, but it can actually damage health due to toxins that it possesses. For people that have mold present, the ideal scenario would be to locate the source and destroy it sooner rather than later.

Sometimes mold can be destroyed by anyone, but usually a professional should be called. Mold such as black mold can possess some extremely harmful toxins which should be avoided at all costs. Even if the mold does not, then a lot of the time it will damage the respiratory system because of it being damp.

Removing mold from the home should be a priority. Taking the right precautions and steps to ensure that it is removed as soon as possible is certainly what needs to be done.

Before The Clean Up
Here are some important things to do before the cleaning begins:
• Make sure no one comes in or out of the room, toxins could be flying around in all directions!
• Remove children and animals from the home completely whilst cleaning is taking place.
• Avoid consuming any solids or fluids (drinking, eating etc).

What needs to be taking into consideration is that mold is usually present in damp areas. Taking precautions to ensure that these areas are completely dry is an ideal way to get rid of mold in the long term.

There are a few things that can be done. First of all, check for the amount of condensation build up in the home. It might be that the ventilation in the home is not adequate and if it is not, then this is likely to allow the right breeding grounds for mold. These things need to be done before the cleaning commenses.

Clean Up
• Saturate the mold with a powerful house hold cleaner, changing the cloths that you clean with regularly. After cleaning, rinse the area.
• It might take a few attempts to completely remove the mold, so repeat the above step until every last bit has disappeared.
• Ventilation is important. Try and keep areas at 30-50 percent humidity using correct ventilation.
• Remember that using bleach can harm the skin, so try to use protective gloves.

After The Clean
• The surface will be wet. Try to use a wet vacuum to completely dry the area. Go over it a couple of times if needs be.
• Dispose of the mold correctly using garbage bags and put them away from the house.
• Ensure that all cleaning water is collected and disposed of.
• Change and clean clothes that were used for cleaning
• Recoat the area with paint as this new paint will be completely clean and will not aid mold growth. Try and find a paint that has chemicals for destroying mildew and mold, mildewcide or fungicide, in it.

Maintenance
Remember that ventilation is the key here. Ensuring that all appliances like air conditioning and drip plans are clear is essentially. Keep the house below 50% humidity at all times as this will not let any more growth occur. Also, if any building modifications are to be made, explain to the building professional that they may also need to take precautions to prevent future mold growth.

Leave a Comment.